Dark circles under the eyes are a common problem amongst both men and women and can occasionally be noticed in children. As people age, the skin becomes thinner and collagen is lost, sometimes enhancing the appearance of blood vessels beneath the eyes and making the area appear darker.
Dark circle is a condition of darkening of the area under the eyes due to various factors such as age, stress, fatigue and fluid imbalance that leads to the swelling and puffy eyes that darkens at the region under the eyes. Fortunately, correcting dark circles under the eyes no longer requires surgery.
Causes of Dark circles/Puffy Eyes:
- Heredity: Dark under-eye circles can run in families
- Pigmentation irregularities: These are a particular concern for people of color
- Sun exposure: Prompts your body to produce more melanin
- Aging –The skin under the eyes is thin and delicate, to begin with. As we grow older, the skin around the eyes becomes thinner making blood vessels more prominent, causing dark circles.Overconsumption of salt: causing fluid retention
- Allergies: Rubbing and scratching the skin causing inflammation and swelling
- Sinus problems
- Dehydration: When the body does not have a proper amount of water, the symptoms are often evident in this specific area. Thus it is advisable to have at least 8-10 glasses of water and include fresh fruit daily.
- Stress, Fatigue, and lack of sleep: A lack of sleep or excessive tiredness results in pale skin, making blood under the skin become more visible and appear more blue or darker
- Nutritional deficiency – Dark circle around the eyes can be due to poor nutrition. A healthy and nutritious diet-filled with vitamins like A, C, K, E, and nutrients can help to get rid of dark circles. Iron Deficiency also triggers dark circles, thus making balanced diet rich in green leafy vegetables, dairy products and all types of fruits important.
- Sun exposure –Increased exposure to the sun can draw pigmentation of the skin’s surface and create dark circles. Long sun exposure produces more melanin around eyes than usual, giving them a darker color.
- Eye Peels
- Eyebrow Lift
- Eye Facials / bright eyes treatment